August 11, 2007

My thoughts on Carson Beckett(Paul Mcgillion), Rodney McKay(David Hewlett) and Star Gate atlantis(♥)

Ok, this is my first post, and I have no clue what I'm doing.

First of all, I'd like to draw attention to my utter confusion, and if anyone has any comments on how stupid I am, feel free to post them.

I'm a BIGBIG fan of Star Gate Atlantis and am one of the many fans who is royally pissed off about the write out of Carson Beckett. Since the write out, I have been devising a plan to meet the man who brought my favorite character to life, Paul McGillion. He is appearing at a convention in Chicago, IL, which is 3 hours away from me (I live in Michigan), and I plan on attending, but since I'm extremely short on cash, I wouldn't be able to afford an autograph, or a photo-op with him, which is extremely depressing, and with school starting the week of the convention, my mother is very hesitant on letting me go. I am now subscribed to a gigantic amount of convention websites, waiting to see if he will indeed be at any convention near me any time soon. I am looking for one that also has David Hewlett because I love him too. Their characters make up all that I love about Star Gate Atlantis. Their friendship is played out so well, that sometimes, I like to forget it's a television show. And then reality hits.

I realize this show has been on for almost 4 years now, but I've only been watching it for two, and in consequence am only on season 2, because Fox is behind or something (same thing happened on Buffy) and have not seen the actual episode where Beckett dies, "Sunday", which I am all too happy for. I watched numerous tributes on Youtube about it, and from what I can tell, I am going to be horribly depressed for a LONG time after seeing it. The last moments of Beckett are the worst, his last line, "Take care of yourself Rodney" and McKay's response, "Goodbye Carson" make me all mist-eyed just thinking about it. How could the producers kill him off in such a well thought out way? I must say, I am horribly stupefied at it, but at the same times can't be mad at the writers because they did it so tastefully.

Despite my age, I am as active as I can be in the SaveCarsonBeckett campaign, even though at the same time I can't help but be against it. I would love nothing more(besides meeting Paul) than to see Carson Beckett return to Star Gate Atlantis, but at the same time, I have to wonder, is it possible to do it tastefully rather than have it be a botched attempt and have Star Gate Atlantis ruined? I always pretend the answer is yes, but many times I have seen shows bring back a character and from then on, see the show plummet into the oblivion. I do hope to see Paul McGillion return to the set, as long as it is his desire he is going back, and not just because of all the fan support. If there was a clear statement from him that he had no desire to return to the show, I would give up my wishful thinking, and return to my mundane lifestyle of playing tennis/swimming everyday of the year, and studying to be an actor.

Now, with that being said, I wish those at MGM/The Scifi Channel/Universal/Paul McGillion/David Hewlett all the luck in the World in continuing their success.

Best Wishes,
Anthony, beaugarcon, Raid1990

1 comment:

SETI_fan said...

Aw, I completely empathize about Carson. It broke my heart to see him go. "Sunday" was a brilliantly executed episode, so I was grateful the writers/directors/etc. made as fine a tribute as they did for him. It really hit me hard when I saw it aired on SciFi Channel, from the gut-twisting actual death to the goodbye with McKay. *sob* Beautiful, but so painful. I do have to give the episode credit too, though, because after watching it I immediately dove online to seek out news of whether Beckett could return and became an active part of the fandom.

Characters are what make or break a show for me, and Atlantis has good ones in spades. The dialogue, the interactions, the development, I love the way they've done it all (save for choosing to kill Carson). I share your concern about how they'll bring Carson back without ruining it, but from what I hear online, Paul McGillion was really excited when he heard how they were doing it, so that's probably a good sign.

BTW, from reading the posts on your blog so far, you're doing fine as near as I can tell. I broke down and got myself a blog a while ago, though I barely use it. Good luck with your acting training, getting to Chicago, and finding the right man! I'm sure you'll succeed at all three! And very cool that you live in Grand Rapids. My parents were born and raised in Detroit, though I grew up all over the place thanks to my dad being in the Air Force. (Alaska rocks!) And it's nice to meet you, BTW. I don't think I did an actual welcome on the ADB forum. Welcome to the madness (though it sounds like you've actually been on the SGA sites longer than I have)!

Seti